The Heritage of Overland Park is a grand assisted living community in Overland Park, Kansas. It is within fine Johnson County which is part of the Sunflower State.
The Heritage Communities were specifically designed to care for the growing needs of today’s seniors who suffer from the debilitating disease of Alzheimer’s, as well as other forms of memory disorders and dementia.
Our state of the art communities are specifically designed to create a smaller, home environment that our memory impaired residents can enjoy. Our unique approach and programs were developed to support, encourage and enable our residents to enjoy life to the fullest. We are creating a new standard in memory care and are here to make sure your loved one ‘makes the most of each and every day’.
Over the past 10 – 15 years, the model for Alzheimer’s and dementia care has not changed a great deal. Typically, the emphasis has been on providing a locked environment for a large number of residents, most often on the second or third floor, that will keep residents safe and provide for their medical needs. Activities were typically planned with a focus on keeping the whole group of residents busy rather than understanding each person’s unique interests and preferences. Additionally, the resident’s typical daily routine – what/when they eat, what day/ time they take a shower, when they get to go outside, etc. – is dictated and scheduled by what is convenient for the facility and the staff. The focus seemed to be on housing a large number of people in an institutional setting rather than creating a home that engages residents in meaningful activities.
After working with seniors for many years and going through our own personal experiences involving family members with Alzheimer’s disease, we decided that it was time to create a new standard of how we support and care for people with various forms of dementia.
- Our community offers a smaller home environment that was specifically designed for a maximum of 16 residents per home. Each home has a comfortable, open floor plan with its own accessible outdoor spaces including memory gardens, walking paths, and a beautiful pond and fountain.
- We take a person-centered approach to providing care that focuses on each individual resident’s needs and interests. Building personal relationships with our residents, understanding the “little things” that bring them comfort, health, and joy, is a key element to their quality of life.
- We offer an environment that supports each resident physically, emotionally, spiritually, and socially while adding meaning and purpose to their life. We develop an Individual Life Services Plan that considers the needs of the whole person.
- Our Life Enrichment Program is led by our Activities Director and each homes dedicated Homemaker. We offer a tailored approach to providing meaningful and engaging activities.
- We strive to partner with families to create a collaborative partnership among everyone involved that ultimately enhances each resident’s daily life experiences.
- The Heritage is locally owned and operated, which means that there is no large corporation dictating how we do things. We can adjust and grow in ways that make sense for our residents. Also, residents and families can communicate directly with our owner and president to offer suggestions and feedback.
Through focusing on customer service and associate satisfaction, we will ensure that our residents and their families will make the most of each and every day, and that our associates will be given the opportunity to truly make a difference in the lives of those they serve.
We envision a community of residents and families that can enjoy a meaningful quality of life. Our residents and families can embrace the past, focus on the present and look forward to the future. Residents, families and associates can live and work together to ensure that each and every day is the most it can be, through a commitment to quality of care, meaningful relationships and respect.