Holy Family Home
The Little Sisters of the Poor arrived in Philadelphia on August 24, 1869, to respond to the needs of the elderly poor in Philadelphia at the time. Jeanne Jugan was still alive to witness this spreading of her work to the far reaches of the earth. The work of the Little Sisters began in the heart of Philadelphia at 18th and Jefferson Street. Later, it expanded to include St. Michael’s Home in Germantown, PA and Sacred Heart Home in Southwest Philadelphia. Sacred Heart Home opened in 1902. In the early 1970’s, the home was rebuilt and renamed to its current name, Holy Family Home.